If you’re planning to travel for spring break, find out if your destination is one of the many popular travel spots where Zika virus is being spread by mosquitos.
To prevent Zika or other mosquito-spread diseases, travelers should avoid mosquito bites:
- Use EPA-registered insect repellents containing DEET, picaridin, oil of lemon eucalyptus (OLE), or IR3535. Always use as directed.
- Cover skin – wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants.
- Most repellents can be used safely by most people, but be sure to check the label and follow instructions.
- Use permethrin-treated clothing and gear (such as boots, pants, socks, and tents). You can buy pre-treated clothing and gear or treat them yourself.
- Stay and sleep in screened-in or air-conditioned rooms.
For more information, visit www.doh.wa.gov/zika